Five great reasons to tutor English online.
- Freedom. When told you can pick the hours you want to work, or the location, (as long as you have a good internet connection), it almost sounds too good to be true. Surely, it can’t be that easy? Well, yes and no. What’s the truth about picking the hours you want to work, and can you teach from anywhere, really?
We live in the best time zone for online TESOL. We wake up slightly ahead of Beijing, Tokyo, and Seoul. Drop the kids off at school, make a coffee and still be on time to greet your first students of the day.
- Convenience. Does working from home sound like living the dream? For an increasing number of aspiring and experienced TESOL teachers, teaching English online is the ultimate. Imagine, no rush hour traffic, parking fees, overpriced coffees, or annoying bosses. Teach the students you want, when you want. Once your schedule is established, who’s to say you can’t teach from anywhere?
- Earn more. There are two ways to earn more teaching or tutoring from home. Firstly, consider the transport costs, keeping your wardrobe up to date, buying expensive lunches, overpriced coffees, childcare costs, and the worst, commuting time. All of those costs added up may mean that the first two days of your workweek go simply to paying for the privilege to work.
The second way to earn more online is to level-up from tutoring English online to teaching a specialised English subject online, in other words servicing a niche market. There is a difference. For TESOL veterans, or anyone wanting to earn more, slough off the tutor title and teach a niche. What does that mean? International students looking to emigrate, or study abroad must increase their English ability and require a teacher with additional expertise. These are motivated students who are willing to pay a higher hourly rate for personalised study plans with specified time frames, tailored lesson plans, and regular assessing. Preparation for IELTS, and TOEFL exams are two broad examples. With 2.5 million IELTS exams sat last year, demands for such services are high.
- Put your high school language study to use. If you studied Spanish, French, or Japanese in high school, and thought you would never use it, well guess what? Having a basic knowledge of another language group is going to help you when teaching or tutoring online. As TESOL teachers/tutors we only use English when teaching, but a basic understanding of your students’ first language will make you a better teacher. Of course not essential, but it certainly helps build your profile.
- It’s the future. The developing world is quickly adopting mobile technology, and what is touted as “value added services”, including the ability to access education services and online learning platforms. TESOL teachers, telcos, and traditional ESL publishers are coming together to give newly connected countries the same access as more affluent China, Japan, South Korea. How big is the demand, you might wonder? English language study accounts for 63% of all language study in the world, with the remaining 37% making up all other languages combined. English is the world language, and learning English online will mean more convenient and less expensive access to learning the world’s language than ever before. Previously, enrolling into a language school, buying expensive textbooks, or travelling to a larger city, made learning English elite, or exclusive. Now, Mobile technology and value added services such as learning English online means more of the world will be joining in on the conversation for a long time to come.